Florida White Rabbit

Florida White Rabbit

History of the Florida White Rabbit

The Florida White Rabbit was developed during 1960’s by a rabbit breeder in Florida Judge Orville Miliken. He created a rabbit breed by mating an REW Polish, an Albino Dutch, and a White New Zealand Rabbit breed and created a new breed called the Florida White Rabbit breed. More than anything else, perhaps, the Florida White is a prime show animal. The Florida White Rabbit breed was approved as a separate breed in 1967 by the American Rabbit Breeders Association.

Health

A well-balanced rabbit diet consists of 70 percent hay with the remaining 30 percent being lefty greens, fruits and vegetables.

Hay is the most important part of your rabbit’s diet. Pellets should only make up a small amount of your rabbit’s diet. They are high calorie and low fiber which leads to obesity and overgrown teeth. Fresh vegetables keep your rabbit’s intestines well hydrated, which helps with overall digestion. Rabbits have a sweet tooth and would probably love to eat a lot of fruit. However, because of the high sugar content, fruits should be fed only as treats.

Without enough water, intestinal contents can become very dry and get stuck. There are several foods that you should never feed your rabbit, including chocolate, pasta, and yogurt. Seeds, cookies, and crackers, and high-fiber cereals are also off-limits to your rabbit.

Florida White Rabbit

Size, Weight, Shape & Ears

The Florida White is a small rabbit with a 4-6 pounds (1.8-2.7kg) weight and round, compact body and a shortneck. Their ears are not large and generally stand upright, but can fall on either side of their small, round heads.

Fur / Coat

The fur is short, soft, good density and texture and they do not tend to shed much, so weekly grooming with a bristled brush should be fine. If you find your Florida White is shedding more than usual, it may be because it is shedding season.

Florida White Rabbit

Personality

The Florida White is generally docile, gentle and good-natured rabbit. Florida Whites are perfect pets for singles, couples and seniors who would like some furry company. This rabbit is relatively quiet and depending on their personality, may be on the slightly lazier or slightly more active side.

%

Docile

%

Gentle

%

Playful

Looking for Rabbit Breeder?

See More