English Angora Rabbit

English Angora Rabbit

History of the English Angora Rabbit

The first mention of English Angora Rabbit in England was in the 1500’s. Records from France state that the first angoras appeared in their country in 1723. Angoras were brought to the United States around 1900, and they were primarily show rabbits. In 1939, the Angora Wooler was re-classified into two type of rabbits – the French and English type. In 1944, the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) officially separated these into two breeds, which are now known as the French Angora and English Angora.

Health

Like most rabbits, English Angora adult rabbits require a diet consisting 70 percent of hay. The remaining 30 percent should be equal amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables and high-quality pellets

Hay is the most important part of your rabbit’s diet. Pellets should only make up a small amount of your rabbit’s diet. They are high calorie and low fiber which leads to obesity and overgrown teeth. Fresh vegetables keep your rabbit’s intestines well hydrated, which helps with overall digestion.

Rabbits have a sweet tooth and would probably love to eat a lot of fruit. However, because of the high sugar content, fruits should be fed only as treats. Without enough water, intestinal contents can become very dry and get stuck. There are several foods that you should never feed your rabbit, including chocolate, pasta, and yogurt.

English Angora Rabbit

Size, Weight, Shape & Ears

The English Angora is a small size rabbit with compact body type. The English Angora Rabbit breeds are decorated with fur, developments of wool on their ears and their whole face, except on top of their nose, and their front feet.

 

Size Weight Ideal
Bucks 4.4-7.7 pounds (2-3.5kg)
Does 4.4-7.7 (2-3.5 kg)

Fur / Coat

The coat of the English Angora should be dense and soft and of a good length. They are often called “round balls of fluff” . Regular grooming, even during off-shedding periods, are necessary.

English Angora Rabbit

Personality

They are gentle in nature, but they are not recommended for those who do not groom their animals. When they are having their daily outdoor time out of their enclosures, make sure to have a couple of toys handy so they can chew.

%

Gentle

%

Friendly

%

Playful

Looking for Rabbit Breeder?

See More